Volunteers work to install edible landscaping on Shabazz Garden as an expansion on the North East side of the Malcolm X Birthplace
Friends and Family, we are excited to announce the progress of revamping our Shabazz Garden, located on the South East end of our property adjacent to Adams Park (Malcolm X Avenue and Bedford Street). Below are a few photos of the progress. Mr. Jackson of Jacksons concrete supports the Shabazz Garden and has donated the sidewalk blocks from the AMES AVE project. Mike Dunn of Asphalt Maintenance has graded the property for installing the raised beds.
Accomplishments as of April 2018 – September 2018
- 1/2 Acres of land dedicated to the construction and maintenance of a community garden
- Distributed over 400 Letters door-to-door in the 68111 Zip immediately surrounding the garden
- Established 6 Business supporters of the Shabazz Garden
- Prepared over 600 seed bags for distribution to community members
- Planted of 400+ Seeds in Partnership with BlackBurn Alternative High School
- Received $2700 in donations since April 1st
Successfully grown over 400 Plants in the garden
Over 50 Volunteers (mostly from 68111) and surrounding zip codes participated in the Brick By Brick Building Day on May 12th. The following week on May 19th over 40 volunteers continued the efforts to finish building garden beds and our rubber tire planting wall.
Thank to all who have helped and supported!
We are currently seeking volunteers to join our family! If interested, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Be sure to check our Upcoming Programs page for details on how to join the garden committee and get involved!
More images from the progress and completion: